What should I plead in court for an underage drinking ticket in New York State? Is there a way I can get the tickets dropped?

Cortland, NY |

I received two tickets one for underage possession and intention to consume and another for an open container. I was at a party at my college and crossed the street with an open container. The party was going on outside and only stopped me because I crossed the street. He did not see me drink the alcohol.

1. You should retain a local criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Contact an experienced local criminal defense attorney who handles cases on a regular basis with the District Attorney's Office which is prosecuting your case.

3. You will have to answer these tickets in Cortland City Court on a Friday. First time offenders charged as you are may be offered a disposition at arraignment. Go to your arraignment and plead not guilty. Then see what, if anything, is offered to you by the Asst. DA.

There are many fine criminal defense attorneys practicing in Cortland. Retain one if you are not made a suitable offer by the DA's office.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    Syracuse - Rochester - Albany
    1-800-DWI-TEAM