What should I expect on the day of my divorce hearing?

Asked about 2 years ago - Methuen, MA

My soon to be ex and I filed a joint petition for divorce and our hearing is in November. What should I expect, do I need to bring any paperwork, etc? We do not need lawyers as it was a short term marriage, no children and very few assets so we were able to settle everything ourselves.

1. Joshua N Robbins

Pro

5

1

Answered . This depends on whether you have drafted and submitted a separation agreement.

If you have already drafted and filed a sepration along with your joint petition for divorce then at then on the date of hearing the Judge will have a colloquy i.e. discussion with all parties in which the contents of the petitiion and agreement will be reviewed and reaffirmed.

If you have not filed a separation agreement then you will be expected to do so at the time of the hearing. A seperation agreement will govern the terms and conditions of a divorce. Even the simpiliest divorce requires a complete and thorough separation agreement. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney prior to your November hearing.

I wish you all the best.

2. Christopher John Finn

4

1

Answered . You will need to have a filled out financial statement for the day of the hearing. You can expect the judge to ask you both a number of basic questions (when were you married? when did you last live together? have you had an opportunity to read each others financial statement? Do you understand the terms of your separation agreement? etc.) Typically these hearings do not last more than a few minutes if everything is agreed on.

I hope this helps.

www.finnandeaton.com

3. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . Financial statements for each.

A proposed judgment or a separation agreement.

Does this answer your question?

henry lebensbaum, esq.

300 Brickstone Square, Ste 201

Andover, ma 01810

(978) 749-3606

420 Common Street, Ste 101

Lawrence, MA 01840

(978) 685-2690

attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net