What should I expect on the day of my divorce hearing?

Methuen, MA |
Filed under: Divorce

My soon to be ex and I filed a joint petition for divorce and our hearing is in November. What should I expect, do I need to bring any paperwork, etc? We do not need lawyers as it was a short term marriage, no children and very few assets so we were able to settle everything ourselves.

This depends on whether you have drafted and submitted a separation agreement.

If you have already drafted and filed a sepration along with your joint petition for divorce then at then on the date of hearing the Judge will have a colloquy i.e. discussion with all parties in which the contents of the petitiion and agreement will be reviewed and reaffirmed.

If you have not filed a separation agreement then you will be expected to do so at the time of the hearing. A seperation agreement will govern the terms and conditions of a divorce. Even the simpiliest divorce requires a complete and thorough separation agreement. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney prior to your November hearing.

I wish you all the best.

You will need to have a filled out financial statement for the day of the hearing. You can expect the judge to ask you both a number of basic questions (when were you married? when did you last live together? have you had an opportunity to read each others financial statement? Do you understand the terms of your separation agreement? etc.) Typically these hearings do not last more than a few minutes if everything is agreed on.

I hope this helps.

Financial statements for each.

A proposed judgment or a separation agreement.

Does this answer your question?

henry lebensbaum, esq.

300 Brickstone Square, Ste 201

Andover, ma 01810

(978) 749-3606

420 Common Street, Ste 101

Lawrence, MA 01840

(978) 685-2690

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

yes, thank you so much.

Recommended articles about Divorce