What should I expect in a settlement after being attacked and injured by neighbor's dogs?

Asked about 5 years ago - Macon, GA

In October I was attacked by a neighbor's dogs while running in my neighborhood. I sustained wounds to my right hand and both legs. I was trapped by the dogs on a porch and later rescued by paramedics. I spent 5 hours in the ER and missed a week of work. My medical expenses exceed $7000. I have not yet hired an attorney. My hand is responding to therapy and I have full use of it, but there is still trauma swelling and the scar is an eyesore. I am male so the scarring is not as much of an issue as it would be if I were female. There is one scar on the leg that is six inches long and will be very visible during the spring, summer and fall, as I live in Georgia. The hand works, but there is discomfort in the scar area and the hand aches in damp weather.

I am hoping that the owners' insurance company will offer me a fair settlement so we can stay out of court. What would be a fair settlement in this case?

1. Kenneth L. Shigley

Answered . It is extremely difficult to tell you the value of your claim without a lot more facts. I encourage you to consult an attorney in Macon. There are a number of good ones. If you are just trying to settle on your own with the insurance company, I doubt if you can get above the $15,000 - $20,000 range even on a good day. They will probably try to hold it to $8500 - $10,000. You should be aware that there is a two year statute of limitation for personal injury in Georgia, so any suit must be filed in court by the second anniversary of the injury.

NO DUTIES ARE INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION. If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney. Most legal rights have time limits, and this e-mail does not constitute advice on the application of limitation periods unless expressly stated above. You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.

2. Haynesworth Maier Studstill

Answered . I fully agree with Mr. Shigley's answer. If you have not already found a lawyer in Macon to help you, please feel free to contact me. I am on Mulberry Street in downtown Macon. My office number is (478) 745-9002.

Best of luck to you.

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is created by this communication. The information provided by the Studstill Firm, LLP is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advice. Legal rights usually have time limits; therefore, it is strongly recommended that you seek the advice of a lawyer concerning your legal issue in order to preserve those rights if you wish to do so.