Skip to main content

What should I expect in a final divorce hearing if I'm representing myself?

Decatur, GA |

My spouse has an attorney but I do not and he has not submitted all his documents to me (Ex. notice to produce)

And I can not afford an attorney unless someone out there is is generous and kind enough to take my case, I'm on my own.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    If you submitted a notice to produce, then that means the documents are brought to the hearing, not sent beforehand.

  2. You can expect a very bad day in court. You need a lawyer. Being there where you have no lawyer and he does is like taking a water pistol to a gun battle where the other side has a machine gun. And you should be filing the appropriate discovery dispute notice under the Uniform Rules, and then if needed a motion for sanctions before trial.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman, 2791 Main Street, East Point GA 30344 - 404-768-3509 / )

  3. You can expect to be very disappointed at the end of the day. From experience, there is nothing like a trial with an unrepresented party because you can run all over them. You really need assistance

  4. My colleague is exactly right. You are looking at having one of the worst days of your life. You should hire an attorney immediately!

    The answer to this question does not establish an attorney client relationship and does not constitute a privileged communication. Furthermore, it is offered in response to question asked and is based on limited facts. It should not be relied on as legal advice. If you are in need of more specific answers to your questions you should consult directly with an attorney.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics