What should I expect from litigation for a car accident case?

Everett, WA |

I was involved in a car accident last year the other party already admitted they were at fault. I went to treatment for about 5 months for a crack rib, anxiety and muscle pain the insurance company offered me 4,000 after my attorney fees and medical fees were paid so roughly about 10,000 for my loss of wages, medical bills before all the fees were taken out . I turned down the offer now were getting ready for litigation what should i expect to happen and how much more should I ask for? This accident really effected my life its hard for me to drive now alone and cause me a lot of stress I just want to be compensated for all I been through fairly.

1. It sounds like you have an attorney. If so, you should have this conversation with him/her. If you don't have an attorney you should hire one.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. Your attorney is in a much better position to answer these question than anybody else as there are a multitude of variables which affect the outcome of Trials. Best of Luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

3. This question is best left to be answered by your attorney, who is most familiar with your damages and the defenses in your case. Make sure you fully understand the risks associates with going to trial

4. No two pieces of litigation are alike and I say that after 20+ years of trial experience in motor vehicle accident and other personal injury cases. The attorney can best evaluate the factors that are considered in determining how the injuries affected you and how a court is likely to respond. The attorney can also explain the process of civil litigation, which includes discovery and preparation.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

5. You have an attorney, so discuss it with him. We aren't here to undermine your lawyer.

6. Sit down with your attorney. These are the very questions that you need to ask your attorney.

7. only you and your attorney together can really decide the value of your case. Listen to your attorney. Your interests and his interests are the same. You don't want to incur thousands of dollars in expert and other fees and expenses if he can settle your case NOW for what you might ultimatley put in your pocket if you went to trial and paid all the costs.

The AVVO response or other communication by Caruso Law Offices does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please call us at 505-883-5000 for a FREE CONSULTATION with an attorney. We look forward to discussing your case in more detail.

8. You probably have retained an experienced personal injury attorney. You should ask his expectation of the result of litigation based upon his experience. You should also ask if the positives and negatives of your case. There is a formula that is used to value cases for settlement. Many clients pop a number in their head with no basis for how they came to that number. As a general rule most juries are conservative when it comes to personal injury cases. This is especiiall\y true in soft tissue injury cases. Many times the verdicts are considerably less than the settlement offers. This is where you need to rely upon the experience of your lawyer. You should place great weight on what he tells you.
    As an aisde, you might want to determine if you can submit your case to binding or non binding arbitration. An award rendered by another attorney is probably going to be more than an award by people who would sit on a jury. Have confidence in your lawyer. Just ask the right questions, get the best information you can, and make a decision.

9. Talk to your lawyer, see links.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

10. If you have an attorney, you should make an appointment to ask him these questions. He should be able to give you some idea of a likely outcome. If you do not have an attorney, you should make some phone calls and speak to one soon.