What should I expect from litigation for a car accident case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, WA

I was involved in a car accident last year the other party already admitted they were at fault. I went to treatment for about 5 months for a crack rib, anxiety and muscle pain the insurance company offered me 4,000 after my attorney fees and medical fees were paid so roughly about 10,000 for my loss of wages, medical bills before all the fees were taken out . I turned down the offer now were getting ready for litigation what should i expect to happen and how much more should I ask for? This accident really effected my life its hard for me to drive now alone and cause me a lot of stress I just want to be compensated for all I been through fairly.

1. Sean Michael Patrick

19

Answered . It sounds like you have an attorney. If so, you should have this conversation with him/her. If you don't have an attorney you should hire one.

2. Angela Zervos

Pro

18

Answered . This question is best left to be answered by your attorney, who is most familiar with your damages and the defenses in your case. Make sure you fully understand the risks associates with going to trial

Pro

18

Answered . You have an attorney, so discuss it with him. We aren't here to undermine your lawyer.

4. George Costas Andriotis

16

Answered . Your attorney is in a much better position to answer these question than anybody else as there are a multitude of variables which affect the outcome of Trials. Best of Luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Kevin Coluccio

14

Answered . Sit down with your attorney. These are the very questions that you need to ask your attorney.

6. Andrew Daniel Myers

15

Answered . No two pieces of litigation are alike and I say that after 20+ years of trial experience in motor vehicle accident and other personal injury cases. The attorney can best evaluate the factors that are considered in determining how the injuries affected you and how a court is likely to respond. The attorney can also explain the process of civil litigation, which includes discovery and preparation.

7. Mark John Caruso

Pro

13

Answered . only you and your attorney together can really decide the value of your case. Listen to your attorney. Your interests and his interests are the same. You don't want to incur thousands of dollars in expert and other fees and expenses if he can settle your case NOW for what you might ultimatley put in your pocket if you went to trial and paid all the costs.

8. Stephen Voccola

13

Answered . You probably have retained an experienced personal injury attorney. You should ask his expectation of the result of litigation based upon his experience. You should also ask if the positives and negatives of your case. There is a formula that is used to value cases for settlement. Many clients pop a number in their head with no basis for how they came to that number. As a general rule most juries are conservative when it comes to personal injury cases. This is especiiall\y true in soft tissue injury cases. Many times the verdicts are considerably less than the settlement offers. This is where you need to rely upon the experience of your lawyer. You should place great weight on what he tells you.
    As an aisde, you might want to determine if you can submit your case to binding or non binding arbitration. An award rendered by another attorney is probably going to be more than an award by people who would sit on a jury. Have confidence in your lawyer. Just ask the right questions, get the best information you can, and make a decision.

9. Myers Newton Massengill II

8

Answered . If you have an attorney, you should make an appointment to ask him these questions. He should be able to give you some idea of a likely outcome. If you do not have an attorney, you should make some phone calls and speak to one soon.

10. Howard Robert Roitman

7

Answered . Talk to your lawyer, see links.