What should I expect?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chesapeake, VA

I am 17. I was going 75/60 15 over the speed limit. Got pulled over by a state trooper. What should I expect? And if I take a driving improvement course will they lower the fine or even dismiss the case? And in any way can I get my court date moved to an earlier date?

1. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

4

Answered . Getting your case moved up will be difficult but it is possible if your attorney can coordinate with the trooper and the court. Your case will be handled in Juvenile so you and your parents should contact a local attorney soon to help you through the process. Taking an in person driver improvement course is always helpful.

2. James Donald Garrett

4

Answered . Do you have any prior criminal or traffic record? That will have the greatest effect on your case. Since you will be in juvenile court, the judges there have many more options at their disposal than adult court judges. Since there are such differences, I would suggest that you and your parents meet with an attorney who is familiar with and has experience with juvenile cases.

I would not recommend taking a driver improvement course yet. Many juvenile cases can be resolved with a dismissal after the juvenile and their parents attend a court-directed driver safety course. This course is much more intense than the ones offered to the public, and the public courses may not be a sufficient substitute.

As for advancing the matter on the docket, that is a possibility, but it is difficult to accommodate the schedules of the officer and the courts. Your attorney will be able to advise you on this as well.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Garrett answer is right on for your matter.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777