Skip to main content

What should I do with my F1 visa when I get my green card?

Fremont, CA |

I just got approved and received my new green card.

My relatives told me I no longer need F1 to enter the US.

What should I do with my F1 visa sticker on my passport? Do I need to rip it off?

please respond


thanks for answering my question Mr Peerally. So, another question, would it take long for the officer to cancel it at the airport? Or, it's done immediately at the customs? I am asking so I can buy my air ticket with the right transfer time.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    When you travel abroad, make sure to carry your green card and valid passport. The Customs and Border Protection Officer will likely cancel the F-1 visa ("cancelled without prejudice" or "CWOP"). Don't "rip" the visa out of your passport.

    Avi Friedman| Attorney at Law | Wolfsdorf Immigration Law Group | 1416 2nd Street | Santa Monica, CA 90401 | (T) 310-570-4088 x249 | (F) 310-570-4080 | | | Offices in Santa Monica, CA and New York City

    This message is provided for general informational use only and is not specific legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. No do not touch it. An officer at the airport will cancel it.
    Congratulations on the greencard.

    Good Luck
    Shah Peerally
    Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
    The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief

    Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics