What should I do with cash found in my deceased father's apartment? His estate is insolvent.

Asked 9 months ago - Buffalo, NY

I am the voluntary administrator of the "small estate". He has very little in the bank. We found several hundred dollars in his apartment. He has many creditors, we haven't begun trying to figure out who & how much. Back taxes, social services, and his wages at work were being garnished by someone. I think I should deposit the cash in the estate account and wait for claims. My brother wants his travel expenses for the funeral reimbursed w/ the cash. I think that's both a-illegal and b- setting myself up to be sued by the creditors.

1. Michael Todd Shilinski

1

Best Answer

Answered . The cash should be deposited into the estate account. It is clearly an estate asset.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . It's an asset of the Estate so your instinct is correct. I commend your honesty.

3. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

Answered . You are correct in wanting to deposit the money. Your brother should understand this.