What should I do when tax preparer refuses to furnish the documents to me she prepared and filed with the IRS ?

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

She prepared the tax returns for me and now separated spouse who I believe had her parents claim our kids w/o my knowledge.? If the person who does my separated spouses taxes now refuses to give me copies of our joint filed electronic copies of the filings and attached forms would it be easier and faster for me to request a motion to compel the production of the documents or have a deposition subpoena served on her? She was given written notice by me I want the documents in January and still has not complied.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18
  2. Allysyn Lesley Overton

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . That's frustrating.
    You want to do a subpoena duces tecum, not a deposition subpoena. The duces tecum is for a production of documents, whereas the deposition subpoena is for the production or showing of documents.
    Good luck

  3. Brad Howell

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can obtain a return transcript for the tax year in question. This transcript will show you what was reported on your return. You can also request a photocopy of the return itself, but this requires you to fill out a Form 4506, although it can take a few weeks for this form to be processed and for the return to be sent to you. Ordering the return transcript online or having it mailed to you is much quicker.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and family

Divorce and family covers several issues that can come up during the course of a divorce, such as continuing spousal health insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,468 answers this week

3,639 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,468 answers this week

3,639 attorneys answering