What should i do when i go to court against this collection agency?? do i need a lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

hey, i was summoned to court on Sunday march 3, they gave the summons to my girl friend and i have court next week and im not sure what i should say to them or do. the collection agency says i owe a old credit card 3800, and last payment made was in 2008. i have not worked since 2006-2007, hence why i couldnt make payments. i finished college and i still have no job. i own a older car that has a kelly blue book value of about 3200 and i have about 900 bucks in my account. only jobs i have done are side jobs helping friends move, basic stuff just to make some sort of income. but nothing set annually. my question is how should i go about this summons. i will be appearing but i have no clue on what to tell the judge. i cant afford monthly payments because i dont have a set income.

1. 3

Answered . You should make sure it is your debt. it is not your debt or if key paper work is missing, you might have a defense. If it is your debt, the fact that you are not able to make payments is not a defense. The one way to prevent a judgment against you is to enter into a settlement agreement. If you can't make any payments at all you will have to live with a judgment against you.

2. 1

Answered . You should consult with a consumer attorney, look at naca.net. The attorney can advise you as to whether you have defenses such as statute of limitation?