What should I do when an attorney from Regional Counsel Office has never met me ? I have an appointment 4 days after court date?

Gainesville, FL |

Due to very short notice and vacation, an attorney from the Criminal Conflict & Civil Regional Counsel is not meeting me before my Pre-Trial Court Conference on Sept. 20, 2012 (Thursday). Her secretary scheduled my appointment on Sept. 24 only. She told me that the attorney will see me briefly on the court date.

I am just wondering how would she represent me? What would happen to my case? How is she going to defend me?

What should I do?

Well... if you can afford it you need to retain private counsel. Office of Regioanl Conflict Counsel (ORCC) and PD's are usually very good lawyers; however, they are overworked and cannot devote the time and attention needed to each client typically.

If you cannot afford a private lawyer stay with ORCC. The judge will delay your case and allow you time to meet and speak with your lawyer.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

There are some fine lawyers in that office. I suspect they will meet with you in court and will discuss the status of the case and pass the case. Then you can meet in their office. They are anticipating doing nothing of importance on that court date until they meet with you. After the meeting, if you do not feel comfortable, I would suggest you hire North Florida counsel. Best of luck.

This will likely require another court date, if not more. Unless you insist, your public defender will not let your case proceed without having time to prepare with you.

Public Defenders are usually very good lawyers, with too many cases.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

It's not uncommon for nothing to happen at Pre-Trial Conference; you just say Not Guilty and the case gets passed until the next court date. It's possible that your lawyer hasn't even gotten enough of your file from the Public Defender to start working on your case yet. She will likley defend your case just fine.
If you can afford a private attorney, feel free to hire one. I offer free 30-minute consultations. We can discuss what your best options are.

Recommended articles about Personal injury