Skip to main content

What should I do to get sole custody of my two kids if their dad has been absent for almost 4 years?

Los Angeles, CA |

We were never married and ever since we split my kids have been living with me. He has never attempted to visited them for almost four years. I am now married and have little girl and we all live like a happy family. I would like sole custody of my kids because we would like to take them out of the country for vacation next year but I have no idea how to contact their dad.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can ask the court for sole legal and physical custody. You will have to give notice to the bio-dad but there are ways to do this even when you don't know where he lives. And you may want to look at adoption of them by your husband later on. I suggest you get some legal advice about your specific circumstances.


Absent a court order stating otherwise, you can take your children out of the country for vacation. If you want a court order, then file for custody. You will have to serve Dad with papers. You may also want to consider having your current husband adopt your children.


Consult with an attorney to assist with the process and provide legal representation to achieve your custody goals. Since you have provided for your two children solely, the court would likely order the your family situation remain undisturbed.

The Law Offices of Michael Labrum (Offices in Ventura and Westlake Village; Serving Ventura, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara Counties) provides informational answers to questions posted on Avvo, and these answers do not create an attorney-client relationship and are not intended as a substitute for a licensed attorney consultation. An attorney-client relationship is created by mutual agreement of both parties which includes a consultation and a signed agreement indicating the parameters of the attorney-client relationship. Please do not include confidential information when you email or submit a message using this website. Emails do not create an attorney-client relationship. The Law Offices of Michael Labrum does not seek to represent any person in a jurisdiction where it is not licensed to do so or where this site fails to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that particular jurisdiction.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer