What should i do to best handle the extent of this charge in regards to consequence and criminal record?

Asked over 3 years ago - Columbus, TX

I'm a louisiana resident, i received a DWI june 2nd. Court isn't until beginning of august. first misdemeanor.

1. Joshua Zientek

1

Answered . Was the DWI received in Texas or in Louisiana? I would recommend speaking with several lawyers in the area where you were arrested. They will be familiar with the local terrain, the judges and prosecutors, and be able to best assess the evidence against you and in your favor. They will help you to make the most educated decision about the outcome of your case. If you cannot afford a lawyer, then one may be appointed to you. Another thing to remember is that there is usually a driver's license suspension which may need to be addressed quickly. Good luck!

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . I assume you received the DWI in Texas yet you are a resident of Louisiana. Be aware that you need to hire a lawyer immediately even though your court date is quite a ways off. Your privilege to drive a motor vehicle will be suspended on the 40th day after your arrest if you do not request a hearing on the administrative license revocation issue within 15 days of your arrest. If you blew the breath test and failed, your privilege will be suspended for 3 months. If you refused the breath test, then your privilege will be suspended for 6 months. I believe that Louisiana and Texas recognize each other's suspensions so your Louisiana license would be affected.

You need to hire a lawyer local to where you received the DWI most likely so they will know the attitudes of the prosecutors and judges. However, some times it is better to use a lawyer from a nearby big city if the offense is in a small city and you are seeking a trial.

3. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . Assuming your a LA resident charged with this offense in Columbus, Texas, you need to find a local attorney that can assist you in defending against this charge. Texas doesn't allow deferred adjudication presently for DWI offenses, but probation is an option. Depending on the facts of your case, an attorney might be able to challenge the stop or evidence obtained HOWEVER Ms. Henley is correct that you have a shortened period of time to contest the stop before your license is suspended. This could be complicated because you have an out of state license (most likely) but still you need to act quickly.

Good luck