What should I do or not do and what can happen to me with no evidence, only speculation?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Little Rock, AR

A police report has been filed with my name being given concerning some missing property at a house I was responsible for watching while the owners were out of town. I have spoken with aninsurance investigator ab the missing property and went to the police investigators to cooperate. I was asked to take a polygraph test the same day, agreed, but then after sticking with my story they decided not to proceed and schedule it for another day soon. I'm not sure what to do at this point or who to trust. I just want my name cleared but I have no lead for them in return. I am very scared of what could happen as I have never been in trouble or accused of anything.

1. Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Pro

3

1

Answered . Patrick Benca is in LR and he is who I would recommend. We handled a capital murder case together.
    He is on Avvo.

2. Debra Joan Cheatham Reece

Pro

3

1

Answered . First, do not talk to police again. Second, do not take a polygraph or voice stress test. They are inadmissible anyway in Arkansas, so if you pass it, you can't use it in your favor. But more importantly, the police are allowed to lie to you to get you to confess, so they will tell you that you failed even if you passed. Nothing good can ever come of talking to the cops.

If you are worried, then hire a good criminal defense attorney. We all know how to run interference for you with the cops. A good attorney can usually find out what they know, but will avoid giving them any information.

3. Clifton L Black

3

1

Answered . You have a 5th amendment right to remain silent! You just failed to exercise it. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE EXCEPT YOUR ATTORNEY. A police report is not a charge and hopefully will not result in one. In limited circumstances your statements may be excluded from being used against you. Also, the results of the lie detector may not be admissable. If you are contacted again by the police, insurance, or anyone else, do not answer any questions. Inform the police that you want an attorney present.

4. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . Had you posted this question before you started talking about it with police and insurance investigators, I would have told you to talk to no one without the assistance of a competent criminal defense attorney. Okay at this point I can only recommend that you not compound the potential problems by talking any more with police or agreeing to a polygraph examination. Start searching for a good attorney to minimize the chances that this thing gets out of control and puts you in jeopardy.