What should I do now that my I-864 immigrated uncle quit his jobs, moved away and seeking public assistance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

We cosponsored my wife's uncle and family with my father-in-law. They arrived 6 months ago. We found jobs for the uncle and aunt, and school for the son and an apt for them. After two months they quit jobs, canceled health insurance, changed school, moved to another city and seeking public assistance. We explained to them of the liabilities on us and his brother. He had no concern and wanted the public assistance and work for under-the-table pay. I can't force them to stay, keep jobs and not seek public assistance. What should we do? What options do we have? Thank you.

Thank you very much for all your answers. All these are very helpful to us in making our decisions. He's not answering phone and left no forwarding address. Half of his own family wants to turn him in. The other half thought just wait and roll the dice. We will give him a week or two while trying to make contact and then we will just state our case with local Immigration Office and seek their advice. Once again, thank you all for your assistance.

1. Irene Vaisman

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . very little you can do, but our government has been more "aware" lately and do not just give out public benefits. Unfortunately if he does receive it , the government can seek reimbursement from you.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

1

Answered . Difficult question. You can do very little. He needs to be more conscientious about your responsibilities for him under the I864.

3. George Ellis Corson IV

Pro

5

1

Answered . I would turn them if they put me at legal risk, but I have a low threshold for betrayal. Please allow me to transfer you to the Immigration Forum, where more informed minds can address your inquiry.

4. Laura Justine Jacobson

5

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that this is a difficult question to answer. One thing your wife's uncle is going to find out soon, however, is that many types of public assistance are not available to even green card holders until they have been here for more than 5 years.

5. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Good luck to you.

---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700