What should I do now? I got an eviction notice for failing to pay Oct rent.

Des Plaines, IL |

Huge problems with my property manager & the building I'm living in. I presented the landlord with 3 letters (all acknowledged as received by his staff). First one was 30 days ago. Issues include the property manager endangering my safety with another tenant, faulty wiring, leaky toilet, unsecured building, mail being stolen, discrimination, verbally changing the lease, and more. I'm at a point that I won't go outside when I know the property manager is here, because he's all over me like a wet rag. I did not pay my Oct rent because they failed to address any of the repairs that needed to be made. Yesterday, they put a 5 day eviction notice on my door.

I have filed with the Renter's Protection Agency, the Attorney General, and IL Department of Human Rights. What do I do now?

You have a defense in eviction court if things are as bad as you say they are. You need an attorney to help you brung these defenses in court. Ask the organizations you have filed with to help you if you cant afford to hire someone.

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

2. I agree with attorney Scott's wise observations. Hire an attorney right away.

3. You most certainly have a defense to the eviction. Additionally, service of the 5 day notice in the manner you described is defective. You will probably wind up in court so it would be wise to hire an attorney who specializes in eviction defense - the sooner the better. In the meantime, start looking around for a new place to live, and if you can move out, do so.

Landlord-tenant law topics