What should I do if USCIS hasn't answered an application to extend my immigration status and I - 94 is about to expire ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I came to the US following my fiancée who's on a J visa for 2 years with a 1 / 2 visa and my allowed period for the I94 ends on Feb 27th . Following USCIS instructions , I applied for an extension of my status on Jan 14th ( they say to apply within 30 to 45 days prior to the expiration date ) , but I haven't received any answer so far . What should I do if this remains the same on the expiration date ? Can I stay in the US until USCIS decides or should I leave the country and re - enter no matter what ? Is it there any kind of special period between the expiration date and the decision date in which I could stay ? Thank you !

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. Irene Vaisman

9

Best Answer

Answered . you are allowed to remain here waiting the adjudication

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . Option 1: Stay in the US while waiting for USCIS to make a decision.
    Option 2: Abandon the application and leave the US.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague