What should I do if someone is blackmailing me?

Canyon Country, CA |
Filed under: Child custody

My ex is trying to gain full custody of our son. She has threatened me with jail time for unauthorized access of her email account or she'll drop the charges if I sign full custody of our son over to her. Can I do anything about this or am I screwed and just sign over full custody to avoid jail time?

Not knowing if you have accessed her email account improperly, I would think this is not a crime? It may be though. Regardless, the threat to prosecute you criminally in a civil action is itself actionable and may come back to bite her. I'd tell your attorney and s/he may be able to use this threat to help you substantially. If you do not have one, you should...

The threats she mace could even help you in the child custody case, depending on the judge.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody