What should i do if my husband ex wife did not complete the divorce process?

Asked over 1 year ago - Springfield, MO

my husband ex wife filled and we had thought that they were divorce so we had gotten married but now they say we need to talk to a lawyer on this matter to see when the divorce is finalized to see if we dont have to pay again

1. C. Curran Coulter

Pro

1

Answered . If the proceedings took place in Missouri, you can search for it on CaseNet (https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/base/welcome.do) and see if it was finalized. If they are still married, your marriage would be void (RSMo 451.030). If your marriage is void, he would have to finalize his divorce and then you would have to be married again.

2. Joshua T. Mathews

Pro

1

Answered . Mr. Coulter has been kind enough to provide a complete answer, and to link you to the places where you can find additional information. If your husband is still married, seek legal counsel immediately.

3. Jay Bodzin

Answered . You should get an initial consultation with a lawyer who practices in your state. They can tell you if the divorce really was finalized, or if there is more that needs to be done. Note that, if your husband was still legally married at the time that he married you, then your current marriage may be legally void, and would need to be re-done after his divorce is finalized. I'm afraid it's very difficult to understand just what you're saying, so it's hard to give more advice than that. (Please see this Guide: www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/five-tips-for-how... )

Please read the following notice: