What should I do if my attorney overcharged me, refused to give explanation, and withheld my file?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I hired an attorney to represent me for my divorce case. He overcharged me and changed an hourly rate without notice. When I questioned him about the charges, he never replied and later withdrew from representing me. I requested to pick up my file, but he never replied. Can I file a complaint and ask all charges to be reviewed by CA State Bar? Will the burden of proof be on me?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The most efficient thing is to get a new attorney if the case is going on.
    You have a right to mandatory fee arbitration under California State Bar rules.
    You have a right to file a complaint with the State Bar.
    Don't worry about the burden of proof.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . File a complaint with the State Bar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,925 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,925 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering