What should I do if im being sued by one of my employes I just fired for $2000

Asked over 1 year ago - Bakersfield, CA

I recently fired one of my employes and now Im getting sued for $2000 I really dont know what to do I use to pay him undertable cash so theirs no record. But hes saying I owe him money eventhough he not working for me no more

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . $2,000 is a very small amount of money compared to the trouble you will have if or when the IRS, unemployment/EDD, Franchise Tax Board, Dept. of Social Security, and Labor Commissioner find out about your illegal practices.

    twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more
  2. Kristine S Karila

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call an employment law attorney to discuss. We will need to know what the claim of your former employee is and try to help you defend or settle it. In addition, it is a CA law requirement that you keep time records for your employees and paying them under the table could cause trouble for you if the IRS or EDD, etc. want to pursue the violations of law. 949-481-6909.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,290 answers this week

2,694 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,290 answers this week

2,694 attorneys answering