What should I do if im being sued by one of my employes I just fired for $2000

Bakersfield, CA |

I recently fired one of my employes and now Im getting sued for $2000 I really dont know what to do I use to pay him undertable cash so theirs no record. But hes saying I owe him money eventhough he not working for me no more

$2,000 is a very small amount of money compared to the trouble you will have if or when the IRS, unemployment/EDD, Franchise Tax Board, Dept. of Social Security, and Labor Commissioner find out about your illegal practices.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Call an employment law attorney to discuss. We will need to know what the claim of your former employee is and try to help you defend or settle it. In addition, it is a CA law requirement that you keep time records for your employees and paying them under the table could cause trouble for you if the IRS or EDD, etc. want to pursue the violations of law. 949-481-6909.