What should I do if I was walking and a car coming out hits me on my leg?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kent, WA

I was walking home and a car coming out of a 7 - 11 hits me on my leg the guy was driving out like if no one was in front of him and says he didn't see me because his wind shield wipers weren't working . the guy pulls over and gives me his information and writes on paper that he takes full responsibility . the police said that they couldn't do anything because I was not hurt and that what had happened wasn't illegal .

1. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

6

Answered . If you weren't hurt, then the other guy wouldn't owe you anything. If your injuries were only worth $5, then it wouldn't be worthwhile to bother about it.

2. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . I dont see a case here as there does not appear to be any damages.

3. Matthew C Simon

Pro

5

Answered . If you have an injury, seek medical attention and then a free 30 minute consultation with a personal injury attorney in your area to discuss your options.

4. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

3

Answered . If you are injured, you should go to a doctor to have your injury examined and treated.

You can contact the driver's insurer and file a claim. If you are not injured, the insurer may decline to pay you anything or may pay you the doctor's fees and some small amount of money to settle the case.

As far as the police is concerned, if you were not hurt and this happened on private property, the police is not going to do anything.

If your were injured or the incident happened on public street, you can contact the city's prosecutor. The prosecutor would actually be the one who decides whether to charge the driver with any violation.

You can review your specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options. However, if you were not injured, you likely will find that few attorneys would take your case on a contingency fee basis.

5. Michael R Crosner

4

Answered . If you have no present physical injuries there is no need to make a personal injury claim. If you subsequently became aware of an injury then contact a local personal injury attorney.

6. Marc P. Weingarten

2

Answered . Be glad that you were not injured and put it behind you. Lawsuits should only be filed on behalf of people with injury and damages.