What should i do if i just got a DUI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Kent, WA

got pull over 2 days ago n got a DUI it is my first one , never got a ticket since i got lisence at 18, im 24 now what to expect do i have to get a lawyer ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael F. Morgan

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Every DUI case is different and you don't provide enough details so that a comprehensive answer can be given to your question.

    I think you would be at a significant disadvantage if you are not a lawyer and represented yourself in a DUI case. If you decide to hire an attorney, I would suggest you do so immediately since in some cases there is evidence (such as videos) that is not retained for very long. The profiles and ratings of attorneys by AVVO is a good resource to find lawyers--many of whom will provide a free initial consultation.

    I think you also strongly consider requesting an administrative hearing from the Department of Licensing (DOL) to contest a license revocation as a result of your DUI charge.

  2. Christopher P Norris

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get a lawyer and if you cant afford one apply for a court appointed one. Do not post details or anything that could be considered an admission of guilt. Dont even talk to family or friends about ti until speaking with counsel. For God's sake dont post things about it on facebook or any social media site as well. You need a lawyer now

    This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client... more
  3. Jon Martin Pettis

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should definitely consult with a DUI lawyer. Any lawywer will take your case just planning to eventually tell you to plead guilty. Get a lawyer who takes DUI's to trial and wins. Even if your case isn't good for trial, that expereience will help your lawyer get the best possible result for you.

    Any comments offered are not intended as legal advice. This attorney does not know the specifics of the... more
  4. Noah E. Weil

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You should absolutely get an experienced criminal defense lawyer, and sooner rather than later. A good DUI attorney will work with you to set you up for the best position possible to resolve the case in the manner YOU want to, not just in what's easiest for the attorney. Make sure to only speak to them about the case, never the police of prosecution. DUIs are a pain but a good lawyer will make the process much smoother. Good luck!

    If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI arrest

A DUI arrest must be based on probable cause: the officer must have enough evidence to arrest, as determined by a combination of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,654 answers this week

2,759 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,654 answers this week

2,759 attorneys answering