What should i do if i just got a DUI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Kent, WA

got pull over 2 days ago n got a DUI it is my first one , never got a ticket since i got lisence at 18, im 24 now what to expect do i have to get a lawyer ?

1. Michael F. Morgan

6

Answered . Every DUI case is different and you don't provide enough details so that a comprehensive answer can be given to your question.

I think you would be at a significant disadvantage if you are not a lawyer and represented yourself in a DUI case. If you decide to hire an attorney, I would suggest you do so immediately since in some cases there is evidence (such as videos) that is not retained for very long. The profiles and ratings of attorneys by AVVO is a good resource to find lawyers--many of whom will provide a free initial consultation.

I think you also strongly consider requesting an administrative hearing from the Department of Licensing (DOL) to contest a license revocation as a result of your DUI charge.

2. Christopher P Norris

2

Answered . Get a lawyer and if you cant afford one apply for a court appointed one. Do not post details or anything that could be considered an admission of guilt. Dont even talk to family or friends about ti until speaking with counsel. For God's sake dont post things about it on facebook or any social media site as well. You need a lawyer now

3. Jon Martin Pettis

2

Answered . You should definitely consult with a DUI lawyer. Any lawywer will take your case just planning to eventually tell you to plead guilty. Get a lawyer who takes DUI's to trial and wins. Even if your case isn't good for trial, that expereience will help your lawyer get the best possible result for you.

4. Noah E. Weil

Answered . You should absolutely get an experienced criminal defense lawyer, and sooner rather than later. A good DUI attorney will work with you to set you up for the best position possible to resolve the case in the manner YOU want to, not just in what's easiest for the attorney. Make sure to only speak to them about the case, never the police of prosecution. DUIs are a pain but a good lawyer will make the process much smoother. Good luck!