What should I do if I haven't received my settlement money and its been over a month ?

Asked about 2 years ago - West New York, NJ

I was involve in a car accident when i was 4 years old and I was suppose to receive my settlement when i turned 18 its been a month since my birthday and i went to the surrogate office like my lawyer told me and they didn't have my money there so i called my lawyer and hes been ignoring me and not helping and neither are my parents I'm running out of options and i really don't know what to do

1. John George Ducey

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . A few things may have happened. Did you move to a different county since you were 4........if so you need to go to that surrogate's office.......Are you sure the case settled and if so for how much? There is a $5000 limit before the amount needs to be approved by a Judge and deposited in the surrogates ........ Did your parents petition the court along the way to pay for some expenses like a private school or medical bills, if so the money may be gone........Did your parents get permission to pt it into an annuity or other account instead of the surrogates......

John Ducey
    732-458-5600

2. David Alan Wolf

4

Answered . You may consider writing a letter or e-mai to the attorney asking for the documentation associated with the settlement. In some jurisdictions, the attorney is required to get court approval for minor settlements. You may also check to see if you can find an attorney in New York to write a letter on your behalf. Unfortunately, some minor settlements are not properly concluded and the funds are not properly collected or protected. I sincerely hope you are abel to resolve this matter and get the fund that you deserve.

David Wolf, Child Injury Lawyer
    888-962-4453 Toll Free
    888-96C-HILD Toll Free
    dwolf@childinjurylawyernetwork.com

3. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. Your attorney is ultimately responsible for this.

4. Robert Don Fink

2

Answered . Call your lawyer. Be nice but firm and tell him you expect a call back. Give him a couple of days to get back to you. If that does not work leave a message that you plan on going to the attorney disciplinary commission if he doesn’t call you back. He won’t ever work for you again, but he will call.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

2

Answered . Hopefully a simple misunderstanding. Nevertheless, contact your lawyer asap. Don't show up without an appointment, do call his/her office and let them know you are coming.

6. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . I agree with the sound advice of my colleague. Also, going directly to the lawyer's office and demanding, politely but firmly, attention may get your results. You can also demand and accounting of the amount held for you to ensure that you receive what is your due. Good luck.