Skip to main content

What should I do if I haven't received my settlement money and its been over a month ?

West New York, NJ |

I was involve in a car accident when i was 4 years old and I was suppose to receive my settlement when i turned 18 its been a month since my birthday and i went to the surrogate office like my lawyer told me and they didn't have my money there so i called my lawyer and hes been ignoring me and not helping and neither are my parents I'm running out of options and i really don't know what to do

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    A few things may have happened. Did you move to a different county since you were 4........if so you need to go to that surrogate's office.......Are you sure the case settled and if so for how much? There is a $5000 limit before the amount needs to be approved by a Judge and deposited in the surrogates ........ Did your parents petition the court along the way to pay for some expenses like a private school or medical bills, if so the money may be gone........Did your parents get permission to pt it into an annuity or other account instead of the surrogates......

    John Ducey

  2. Call your lawyer. Be nice but firm and tell him you expect a call back. Give him a couple of days to get back to you. If that does not work leave a message that you plan on going to the attorney disciplinary commission if he doesn’t call you back. He won’t ever work for you again, but he will call.

    This response is not intended to act as legal advice. I am not licensed to practice law in any state other than the State of Illinois. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office.

  3. I agree with the sound advice of my colleague. Also, going directly to the lawyer's office and demanding, politely but firmly, attention may get your results. You can also demand and accounting of the amount held for you to ensure that you receive what is your due. Good luck.

    I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.

  4. You may consider writing a letter or e-mai to the attorney asking for the documentation associated with the settlement. In some jurisdictions, the attorney is required to get court approval for minor settlements. You may also check to see if you can find an attorney in New York to write a letter on your behalf. Unfortunately, some minor settlements are not properly concluded and the funds are not properly collected or protected. I sincerely hope you are abel to resolve this matter and get the fund that you deserve.

    David Wolf, Child Injury Lawyer
    888-962-4453 Toll Free
    888-96C-HILD Toll Free

  5. Hopefully a simple misunderstanding. Nevertheless, contact your lawyer asap. Don't show up without an appointment, do call his/her office and let them know you are coming.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  6. I agree with my colleagues here. Your attorney is ultimately responsible for this.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics