What should I do if I have a bench warrant in richmond county georgia?

Asked over 2 years ago - North Augusta, SC

I was arrested for DUI and went to first court date. I did not recieve notice of second court date and missed the date and a bench warrant is now issued. I live in North Augusta, SC but warrant is in richmond county Georgia.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephan Victor Futeral

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would contact an attorney from that area immediately to discuss the circumstances. South Carolina is part of the interstate compact. So, if you are convicted in Georgia, then your license may also be suspended in South Carolina. Also, if you were traveling through Georgia and happen to get stopped for a traffic violation, then you will be taken into custody for the bench warrant. The problem is not going away, and eventually it will catch up with you.

    This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues.... more
  2. Joseph Torri

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Consult an attorney in the jurisdiction where the court is located. You need the case added to calendar to recall and quash the warrant. A local criminal defense/DUI attorney in that area should be able to assist you if you retain his or her services.


    This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Travel restrictions after a DUI

Receiving a DUI during travel can cause complications, and having a DUI on your record can become an issue when traveling abroad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,304 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,304 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering