What should I do if I have a bench warrant in richmond county georgia?

North Augusta, SC |

I was arrested for DUI and went to first court date. I did not recieve notice of second court date and missed the date and a bench warrant is now issued. I live in North Augusta, SC but warrant is in richmond county Georgia.

1. I would contact an attorney from that area immediately to discuss the circumstances. South Carolina is part of the interstate compact. So, if you are convicted in Georgia, then your license may also be suspended in South Carolina. Also, if you were traveling through Georgia and happen to get stopped for a traffic violation, then you will be taken into custody for the bench warrant. The problem is not going away, and eventually it will catch up with you.

This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The attorneys of Futeral & Nelson, LLC practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the law firm of Futeral & Nelson, LLC may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. The lawyers of the Futeral & Nelson, LLC are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site or the linked sites without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

2. Consult an attorney in the jurisdiction where the court is located. You need the case added to calendar to recall and quash the warrant. A local criminal defense/DUI attorney in that area should be able to assist you if you retain his or her services.

www.JoeTorriLaw.com

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

DUI topics