Skip to main content

What should I do if I had permission to drive my roommate's car & was involved in a accident that wasn't my fault?

Moline, IL |

My roommate gave me permission to drive her car & was involved in a accident that wasn't my fault. The police took the insurance for both vehicles, but the Illinois motorist report in the bottom left hand corner is asking me for my insurance information, but I am uninsured.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You'll likely be covered by your roommate's insurance policy. You should call them immediately and report the accident.

  2. You were a permitted driver and if your roommate was insured, that insurer may well cover your driving liability.

    Notify her insurer. Do it right away. Make sure you reveal that on the Illinois Motorist Report of Accident or Incident at the place noted.

    If you get sued, you'll need an attorney which may be assigned you by her insurer.

  3. You were a permitted driver and should be covered by your friend's policy. You should report this immediately to that company.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics