What should I do if I find that my DUI case is still active after 4 years?

Asked about 2 years ago - Honolulu, HI

I was charged with a DUI in 2008 and it was dismissed without prejudice. Today, I went to the Traffic Abstract office (I recently got a new job which required a traffic abstract) and they informed me that my case was still open. Apparently, the charges were re-filed in 2009. I was not served with a subpoena and I had no idea that anything was amiss. Now, I'm concerned that the "active" status of my case will affect my employment. Note: my job simply requires that I have access to a car. I will not be transporting people (I'm not sure if that fact matters).

1. 3

Answered . The best thing to do would be to hire an attorney to take a look at the court file and contact the prosecutor's office to look into the status of the charge. As mentioned, you do have several factors in your favor in this situation. An attorney should be able to negotiate a good result for you.

2. 3

Answered . Hire a criminal defense lawyer in your area to review the court case file and advise you what to do. If it is an open case, it needs to be dealt with. Good luck.

3. 3

Answered . It certainly sounds as if you have some things going in your favor. I highly suggest talking to a few local DUI attorneys, and hiring the best one. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen