What should I do if I find that my DUI case is still active after 4 years?

Asked over 1 year ago - Honolulu, HI

I was charged with a DUI in 2008 and it was dismissed without prejudice. Today, I went to the Traffic Abstract office (I recently got a new job which required a traffic abstract) and they informed me that my case was still open. Apparently, the charges were re-filed in 2009. I was not served with a subpoena and I had no idea that anything was amiss. Now, I'm concerned that the "active" status of my case will affect my employment. Note: my job simply requires that I have access to a car. I will not be transporting people (I'm not sure if that fact matters).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Benjamin Christian Summit

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The best thing to do would be to hire an attorney to take a look at the court file and contact the prosecutor's office to look into the status of the charge. As mentioned, you do have several factors in your favor in this situation. An attorney should be able to negotiate a good result for you.

  2. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire a criminal defense lawyer in your area to review the court case file and advise you what to do. If it is an open case, it needs to be dealt with. Good luck.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It certainly sounds as if you have some things going in your favor. I highly suggest talking to a few local DUI attorneys, and hiring the best one. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and DWI defenses

After you are arrested for DUI, getting the charges against you dropped or reduced will require you to develop a defense.

Randy Collins

California DUI Under Age 21

Definition California DUI Under Age 21, as the name suggests, is when a minor drinks and drives under the influence of alcohol. More specifically, Californias Zero Tolerance laws define... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,819 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,819 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering