What should I do if I bought a salvaged vehicle and the seller didn't tell me .

Asked over 1 year ago - West Chicago, IL

It was a private sale and the seller made me sign a note saying it was an as-is sale. He will not return my money. He owns a wrecker/ salvage and towing company.

His response once we found out by accident that the car was bought at an auction was, you could have looked up the history on this car and you looked at the title it says rebuilt. Not my problem. This conversation occurred within 2 hours of us getting home with the car and finding this auction information out and calling him to demand he return our money and we would return the car that night.

1. Luke Allen Thomas

Pro

Answered . If the money you paid is worth filing suit, then you could file suit to ask the court to rescind your contract because you didn't have a meeting of the minds. In that case, you would be required to return the car and title to the previous owner and he would be required to return your money. The risk you face is that he court will find that you did have a binding agreement and that you are stuck with the car. You would then be out the costs of the suit and still be stuck with the car you apparently don't want. Consult an attorney who can go over the specifics with you and outline your options by weighing the pros and cons of each alternative.

2. Tara Leigh Goodwin

Answered . Some consumers have been successful in cases against dealers for selling rebuilt vehicles. Important facts for these type of cases include things like whether or not he made any statements about whether or not the vehicle was in an accident, what he told you about the car's history, and whether the price was low enough for that make and model to put you on notice that something was wrong. The problem I see with your facts is that if you were aware of the type of business he is in, you will have a harder time arguing you had no knowledge the car may have been rebuilt. That may be a hard fact to overcome, unless was somehow concealed from you.