What should I do I lied to my mom and the insurance company?

Middletown, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I took my moms car without her knowing and im not on her insurance. i was sitting in the car after coming out of the store when a group of guys came surrounding the car. One of them I recognized from the area he seemed drunk. When he saw I was ignoring him his friend smashed the windshield with a garbage can. I put the car in drive to get away and I accidentally hit one of them. This happened about four months ago and now he's filing a claim saying that I hit him and he flew into the windshield which is not true at all and my moms insurance company called her about a claim. I lied to her and the insurance company because I'm scared. I'm on probation and don't want to get in any trouble because I've been doing very good with probation. Please help

What will happen, I told the insurance company that I don't know what they're talking about. What will happen if I tell the truth?? What will the insurance company do?

You should really tell your mom to get you a local criminal lawyer to fight it.

You should talk to a defense attorney asap and if nothing else, tell your mom the truth.

Lief about what? You have a duty to cooperate with the insurance carrier or it can disclaim coverage. You may want to consult with an attorney who handles both personal injury cases and criminal defense.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

You have made things much worse by lying to the insurance company. Why would you lie to the insurance company, particularly when you were already on probation?

You may wish to contact the criminal defense attorney you may have worked with you before you went on probation. He or she may be able to further guide you at this point. You may be jeopardizing your probation by lying to the insurance company. Speak to your criminal defense attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Meet,with your criminal attorney. Your lie,coild ultimately result in a charge involving violating the terms of your probation. You should also discuss with your counsel whether you should correct,your,prior misrepresentations. Otherwise, your will have to stand by them, therebymcontinuin and compounding your false statements.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes