Skip to main content

What should i do first time arrested and charged with petty theft?

Somers, NY |

I went into stop and shop. I used the scan your self and bag. I was scanning some stuff and not others. At check out the manger can over & asked if everything was scanned i said everything but 4 items which i scanned i paid $70 then walked out with my sister(16), Her friend (15), & my 3 month old. We were asked to come back in & we did. they re-scanned my stuff found that i didn't pay for $140 worth after the $70. They called the cops and arrested only me & charged me with petty theft. I have court today at 5:30. I am 21 years old & a full time Criminal Justice Student planning on law school next year. I also have a new son my husband does not make much. I know my decision was stupid but is there anyway to get it dropped or taken off my record? what should i do? what is going to happen?

could i be eligible for a ACD?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Due to your lack of prior criminal history, you may be able to get an ACD, a lesser charge, or an outright dismissal. However, it is not recommended that you try without an attorney. At your appearance, you have the right to request an adjournment in order to seek legal counsel.

    You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York criminal defense attorney in a confidential forum immediately thereafter.

  2. Consult a local criminal defense lawyer. If you are indigent the court will assign you a public defender.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. You will be eligible for an ACD. Consult an attorney, and if you are indigent, inform the court at your arraignment and request assigned counsel.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  4. I handle these cases and an ACD is very possible with a good lawyer. Check out my website and Avvo rating and reviews. The fee would be very low as it would only be a few appearances.
    John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics