What should i do after caught up in shoplifting. police gave me date to appear in court. The stolen amount was about 300 dollars

Colorado Springs, CO |

i was caught up at store and at that time police didnt came but store employee caught me and checked my purse and took all items from my purse. They signed two letters from me and i came home. After two hours police came to my home and gave me date to appear in court. What will happen in court and what will be charges or fines? I did this first time. my criminal record is clear. Should i defend in court or should i accept it? I did put everything in my purse in fitting rooms so there is no video for that but they have videos when i grab those items and put it in my cart. They found all tags near fitting room so based on that they are charging me for shoplifting.

I am 23 years old

1. You need to hire an attorney as soon as possible. You can't have a theft conviction on your record, as it will kill your chance of getting jobs and into colleges.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

2. Hire an attorney and try to keep this conviction off your record. If you can't afford an attorney, screen for a public defender. As my colleague stated, a theft conviction, even for shoplifting, can have dramatic consequences down the road.

3. You need to keep it off your record. You need to retain an attorney. You need to do that now - someone who will fight for you. A good attorney can help.

Shoplifting topics