What should I do about tenants using drugs and getting into domestic disputes around their 3 year old daughter?

Asked about 2 years ago - Clinton Corners, NY

I am a disabled person living for free in my fathers home. It is a three story building, and last year he started renting out the first floor. Ever since the tenants moved in they have been nothing but trouble. My father does not seem to care. They leave garbage all over the yard when they have been asked not to. They send me text messages using vulgar language when I try to clean up my porch, which they store their things on. I know for a fact that they buy and use marijuana. They have a 3 year old daughter. I am considering calling CPS/The Police and informing them of all this. I am however afraid for my safety if I did so. As they would most likely suspect me, and possibly harass or attack me or the property. Any advice would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, there is no contract regarding their residence. It is simply a verbal agreement.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . Dear I am afraid for my safety if I did so:

You may be right about being afraid, and they will think of you no matter who turns them in.

Your father has a responsibility to you, and to the adjoining property owners, to keep his property in a safe and sanitary condition and to prevent a nuisance from occurring on his property. The accumulation of garbage over the yard and the drug use, are bad behaviors that may have an affect on your father's property. The town may issue violations because of the condition of the yard. The police may make an inquiry or an arrest because of the drug use.

You should discuss your concerns about the child with a local attorney as well as the harassing text messages. Your attorney should be able to bring your concerns to your father's attention in a way where he will realize that it is in his best interest to do something about his new tenants.

2. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

4

Answered . Unfortunately you do not have many options. Reports to CPS are confidential and they cannot disclose who made the call. If the tenants harass you or attack you you will be able to get an order of protection. That is about all that can be done.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
  3. Mark Alan Mackin

5

Answered . If these people are involved in drug traffic or other illegal activities, your father could lose his house. Especially if there is no written rental agreement. Your worries are valid and your father is far more at risk than he may believe. The first attorney to reply has given good advice.