What should I do about Roommate situation?

Cuyahoga Falls, OH |

I'm currently 6 months in on a 12 month lease with a roommate. We are both on the lease and equally responsible for the rent. We also have a separate roommate agreement. As of right now I'm not allowed to have any personal items outside my bedroom. I can't use any of the cupboards or use the cable or sit on any of the furniture. The furniture is hers. So my question is...
Can she legally throw all of my things away from the main room? She also locks me out of my own room and I have to call maintenance to take my handle off. Is there some help I can get? I'm on the lease as well. Do I have any rights within the apartment?

You should privately consult with a lawyer who practices in the area of landlord-tenant law. When you see him or her for the consultation, bring copies of the lease and the "separate roommate agreement" that you mentioned. Also, try to document things (i.e., dates, times, and witnesses to events in question).

If your roommate has ever physically threatened or attacked you, consider going to the police. The situation you described sounds a lot like a prelude to a domestic violence incident. Be safe.

Good luck!

No attorney-client relationship is established via AVVO.com. The material posted by Kyle J. Bristow, Esq., is for educational purposes for prospective clients only and people should not make legal decisions based on it. You are advised not to take, or refrain from taking, any action based on what Mr. Bristow has stated on this website.

2. Attorney Bristow's advice is right on. I would follow it.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Landlord-tenant law topics