What should I do about Roommate situation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I'm currently 6 months in on a 12 month lease with a roommate. We are both on the lease and equally responsible for the rent. We also have a separate roommate agreement. As of right now I'm not allowed to have any personal items outside my bedroom. I can't use any of the cupboards or use the cable or sit on any of the furniture. The furniture is hers. So my question is...
Can she legally throw all of my things away from the main room? She also locks me out of my own room and I have to call maintenance to take my handle off. Is there some help I can get? I'm on the lease as well. Do I have any rights within the apartment?

1. Kyle J Bristow

4

Best Answer

Answered . You should privately consult with a lawyer who practices in the area of landlord-tenant law. When you see him or her for the consultation, bring copies of the lease and the "separate roommate agreement" that you mentioned. Also, try to document things (i.e., dates, times, and witnesses to events in question).

If your roommate has ever physically threatened or attacked you, consider going to the police. The situation you described sounds a lot like a prelude to a domestic violence incident. Be safe.

Good luck!

2. Michael Ryan Juarez

1

Answered . Attorney Bristow's advice is right on. I would follow it.