Skip to main content

What should I do about my traffic ticket that has now turned into a warrant?

Houston, TX |

I got a traffic ticket many months ago, I believe it was back in January. I went to court the 1st time and then got the defensive driving course to dismiss the ticket, well I fell into hard times and could not afford the defensive driving course, so I went back to just pay the fine, when I saw the judge I explained so the judge gave me time to do it again, although I was still not able to afford it as I was still trying to get back on my feet. Since I never took the defensive driving course, either time, I then missed my court date. I was moving due to the fact that I was losing my living situation and I was never given my court date letter until it was a week after my court date. So now it has turned into a warrant for failure to appear. What should I do?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Contact the court. Ask them what you can do. Do it or hire a lawyer to try to help you.

  2. Hire a lawyer to resolve the warrant and the case.

  3. I agree. Contact the court and plan to go down and appear. You should be able to,deal with this if you explain what happened.

    The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

  4. Probably the easiest thing to do is call the court and tell them you want to get it squared away. Sounds simple, I know, but it's the first step you should take at this point.

    The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  5. Get an attorney ASAP.

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics