What should I do about my room mate threatening my belongings, personal space, bullying me, and stalking me?

Asked over 2 years ago - Murfreesboro, TN

Here the past 3 to 4 months have been a living nightmare. She has been stalking me on Facebook as well as referring my person in a bad manner without cause. I feel secluded to my room because I can't even go two steps without her approaching me about something. Both of our names are on the lease. She has come in and out of my room on multiple counts without my permission, and has even bothered me while I am trying to sleep by means of slapping. She bullied me into giving her money for bills that I didn't have. It has left me in situations before where I wasn't able to eat or get around for days. She has threatened to get rid of my personal belongings, and telling me to not expect my things to be there when I get home one night. I have kept my mouth shut, but I can't any longer. Help?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . why don't you seek a restraining order? See a local attorney to determine the appropriate type.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I suggest you go to the local police station and discuss this matter with an officer. You could potentially be in danger.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with the other posters. You should immediately contact the local authorities and seek some type I restraining order if you feel that you are at risk of physical harm.

    Good luck.

    The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general informational purposes only. See an... more

Related Topics

Personal injury and slander

Slander is a type of defamation that occurs when one person verbally harms another person’s character. These false accusations can damage another’s reputation.

Criminal charges for harassment

Harassment describes a variety of repetitive behaviors that threaten, disturb, or upset someone. Harassment includes unwanted sexual advances and stalking.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,872 answers this week

3,663 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,872 answers this week

3,663 attorneys answering