Skip to main content

What should I do about getting Staph from a hotel?

Kissimmee, FL |

I checked into a hotel in Kissimmee about 4 weeks ago, upon my second day I noticed that the bathroom was not cleaned and had gentlemen's private parts hair in the shower. Also, there was hair and debris behind the bathroom door as well. I informed management and they cleaned the room. Since then about a week later I developed abscesses in my private locations on my body, I went to the ER and was diagnosed as having Staph/MRSA. Who do I need to contact to alert about this in Florida and should I seek an attorney for assistance should it have to go that far? I have read online that Staph/MRSA CAN BE captured from hotel showers, toilets and beds. Prior to checking in I was not in any area that is commonly known as Staph infected places like jails, hospitals, gyms, etc.

Also, I have NEVER had Staph/MRSA in my life. So I know that this is not a recharge of the infection, like with Chicken Pox once you have it you have it. But like I said above I was not in the previous 30 days before checking into this hotel any place that would have made me a higher risk of catching this infection. I have not filed anything with the hotel, especially since the hotel is having a hard time refunding me for the first 2 nights of my stay over the room not being cleaned and sanitary to my expectations. Also, they never offered to move me because I was a "monthly guest" and I was in a room they put "monthly local residents" in.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Consult the local health department, has this hotel been reported before? If so contact a personal injury attorney. Otherwise the case may be very difficult to prove.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

  2. Contact an attorney in your state and explain everything to him/her. These type of cases are difficult to prove but not impossible. Check local health records for any prior problems with this hotel.

    *This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

  3. Since staph is very common, I doubt that you could prove you caught it from the hotel. Just because things happen in time sequentially does not prove one caused the other. Without proof of causation, you would lose. So, in answer to the question: stay away from that hotel in the future, but a lawsuit would be pointless.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

  4. You can get it from anywhere, so a tough case to prove, but speak to a local lawyer nonetheless.

  5. You need to contact a local personal-injury attorney. With that said I think you may have significant problems proving that you contracted staph/MRSA from the hotel.

    You do not indicate where the staph/MRSA infection presented generally there needs to be an open wound and a source of infection.

    You should also get appropriate medical attention because staph/MRSA can be difficult to control.

    The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics