What should I do about a home buyer that put a down payment on property, but now will neither close nor withdraw the offer?

Saratoga Springs, NY |

This happened 3 month ago. Repeated calls by my attorney to his attorney are going unanswered.

Assuming your side is ready to close and depending on the wording of the contract your attorneyshould send the buyers attorney what is called a "time of the essence letter" This is a very formal letter that contains certain required language. Essentially the letter advises the buyer that the seller is "ready willing and able to close" sets what is called "a law date" for the closing and warns that the buyers failure to appear on that date for closing will result in the buyer being held in default under the contract of sale and loss of the down payment deposit. How the the letter is srved on the buyers attorney is usually laid out in the contract. Ask your attorney if has considered sending a time of essence letter and if not why. Good luck.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Have your attorney send a time of the essence letter scheduling the date time and place of closing and stating that failure to close will result in default and loss of the downpayment.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

What does the contract say? Generally the contract states that you may keep the downpayment as liquidated damages in the event of the default. You need to rely on your attorney to advise you if the buyer is in default under the contract.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900