What should I do about 3rd dwls charge in florida. Does anybody know a GREAT lawyer.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I just received what I think is my 3rd dwls with knowledge in Broward county Florida. I told the officer that I didn't know about the suspension but he gave me with knowledge anyways. I moved from the address on my license some time ago so any notices would have been sent there. I received two dwls charges in miamidade on 8-2007 & 11-2007, but adjudication was withheld. What am I looking at in terms of punishment, on the license side and the county court side? Can anybody recommend an excellent lawyer with all the right connections? Should I think about a public defender?

1. Daniel J. Rose

Answered . You may want to hire an attorney who specializes in traffic tickets and DWLS or each time you are going to go to jail with time. Sometimes the State has periods where you can apply for hardships.

2. Philip Matthew Snyder

Answered . You should immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in Broward County.

DWLS is governed under Fla. Stat. 322.34. Three DWLS with knowledge convictions (even adjudication withheld) within five years will trigger an automatic five year driver's license suspension.

An experienced criminal defense attorney MAY be able to fight the knowledge element (Motion to Dismiss), challenge the stop (Motion to Suppress), request your entrance into a diversion program or negotiate a change of charge to a No Valid Driver's License (NVDL) under Fla. Stat. 322.03. A plea to a NVDL does not trigger an automatic suspension.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Good Luck,

3. Matthew Phillip Konecky

Pro

Answered . You should not consider a public defender if you have the means to hire private counsel. If you get convicted of a 3rd DWLS in Florida you will lose your license for 5 years. You may be eligible for the DWLS PTI program that could get your case resolved in a way that doesn't affect your license.
    I would like to know why your license is suspended. Can you get it back soon.
    You can read more about DWLS and your defense possiblities on my website below.

4. James C Forslund

Answered . You may be able to qualify for a license in Colorado before Florida.