What should I do? What might happen

Asked 9 months ago - Taylor, MI

Hello,i am 21 I was caught shop lifting at a local store it was 20-25 dollars worth the cops were not called until after I was asked about the items by the manager and I honestly gave it back after that the cops were called on me. When the cops came my car was repo I was took to the station for my prints and they read my name and saw I had no license then they gave me a ticket for that I was suppose to be locked up but they let me go was I charged still for shoplifting because I only had the ticket for my license and was let go? What should I do I have a court date

1. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . The cops will write a report and give it to the prosecutor. The Prosecutor will decide what if any charges.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

1

Answered . These are serious cases but Taylor is a good court to be in. I handle dozens if retail fraud cases each year and each one is a bit different. Hire the best lawyer you can afford to try and avoid jail and a criminal record.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

2

Answered . Hire a lawyer or demand the public defender. A theft conviction will stay with you for therest of your life.

4. Loren M. Dickstein

Pro

Answered . In Michigan, a person arrested for Retail Fraud (shoplifting) is generally released pending a warrant. The police officer will take the report to the prosecutor or city attorney and they will issue a complaint and warrant. The problem is that the issuance of the warrant is often not promptly communicated to the person charged and that can sometimes result in an unfortunate arrest and accusation that you were avoiding the court.

When my firm is hired to handle retail fraud cases such as yours, something we've been doing for nearly 20 years, we notify the court and the police department that we have been retained so there cannot be an allegation that you were avoiding the charges. A retained criminal defense attorney should also take the time to track the case and warrant so that when it is issued, you can promptly deal with it and maximize your chances of getting a personal (PR) bond.

I encourage you to use www.avvo.com to find a 10.0 rated criminal defense lawyer. Most retained criminal defense attorneys will offer you a free telephone consultation.

Mr. Loren Dickstein, Esq.
    10.0 Rated Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney
    FREE CONSULTATIONS
    LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C.
    2000 Town Center, Ste. 2350
    Southfield, MI 48075
    (248) 263-6800
    AV Rated (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell
    Super Lawyer – Thomson Reuters
    10.0 Rated (Superb) – Avvo Lawyer Ratings

Click on the picture to see the profile of the lawyer answering your question. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.