What should I do (see datails) and can the state of NH deny me a court appointed attourney?

Asked about 2 years ago - Plaistow, NH

I am 16 years old and being charged (as an adult) with a class b misdemeanor for disobeying a police officer. I went to help my buddys start a fire at 6:30 and left at 8. The police came around 9 (according to my freinds) and I was not there. It is an OHRV charge because they are saying I was on my dirt bike and was there at the time the police came. What should I do and can they refuse a court appointed attourney because they said I dont qualify because it is only a class b misdemeanor.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Donald L. Blaszka Jr.

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In NH, you are not entitled to a court appointed attorney if you are only charged with a Class B Misdemeanor because you cannot be sentenced to jail - only fines or loss of license. You are charged as an adult for Disobeying An Officer because it is a motor vehicle offense.

    You should hire an experienced NH criminal defense attorney who practices in the court where you are facing the charge.

  2. Patrick Owen Earl


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sound like you can't get an attorney for the one ticket. Are you charged with another charge or obstructing an officer?

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,423 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,423 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering