What should i do?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lynn, MA

i pay my ex childsupport and my 17 y/o son lives with his girlfriends parents and their 2 y/o son.
massachusetts~

1. David George Thomas

2

Answered . You will need to give more information and let all of those who may respond know whether or not you signed a separation agreement when you were divorced as, if so, that may very well answer your question. Otherwise, you likely need a lawyer to advise you whether there has been a change in circumstance to afford you a modification/reduction in child support.

2. Keith G Langer

1

Answered . The first issue to be addressed is whether there was even a divorce, or at least a court order for child support. If there were no orders, there is no contempt for not paying CS and no existing order to file for modification of.

Further, if your son is not living with the ostensibly custodial parent, the basis for CS would seem to be wholly absent.

That your son has created his own family, of sorts, and left both parental homes suggests de facto emancipation, which is grounds for termination of CS.

You need to meet with a qualified family law attorney. The MA and Essex County bar associations can assist you with referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . File for a Modification Monday.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.