Skip to main content

What should i do?

Lynn, MA |

i pay my ex childsupport and my 17 y/o son lives with his girlfriends parents and their 2 y/o son.

Attorney Answers 3


You will need to give more information and let all of those who may respond know whether or not you signed a separation agreement when you were divorced as, if so, that may very well answer your question. Otherwise, you likely need a lawyer to advise you whether there has been a change in circumstance to afford you a modification/reduction in child support.

Mr. Thomas is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often, the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply. Mr. Thomas strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney to make sure he or she gets all relevant information to make informed decisions about the subject matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


File for a Modification Monday.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Mark as helpful


The first issue to be addressed is whether there was even a divorce, or at least a court order for child support. If there were no orders, there is no contempt for not paying CS and no existing order to file for modification of.

Further, if your son is not living with the ostensibly custodial parent, the basis for CS would seem to be wholly absent.

That your son has created his own family, of sorts, and left both parental homes suggests de facto emancipation, which is grounds for termination of CS.

You need to meet with a qualified family law attorney. The MA and Essex County bar associations can assist you with referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics