What should I do? because they have all my information like my birthday and social and diver license number.

Asked about 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

I got a call from a phone number in Florida. the man had a very strong Indian accent. he said that there is a law suit filing against me for taking out a loan and not paying back. but the thing is that I never took out any loan from anyone. also the man couldn't give me a company name of where and when I took out the loan or how much I took out. He said he didn't have those information and that he was only the officer for my case but he didn't have a badge number either.

1. Tricia Dwyer

1

1

Answered . Hello. At minimum, you appear to have a potential identity theft issue, along with other issues. I would urge you to have attorney assistance to rectify matters.
    Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
    Phone: 612-296-9666
    dwyer.tricia@gmail.com

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

1

1

Answered . This description is strongly suspicious for scam. A proper response to such a phone call would be to demand written documentation of any such debt. That, and other rights are afforded by the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). In reality the scam is probably located offshore, beyond the reach of our justice system, and the phone call probably did not originate in Florida.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

1

1

Answered . I recommend that you check your credit with the three credit bureaus. If you have an account that been sent to collections it will appear there. If the account information is there you will have the contact information for the creditor. Call them and ask where the lawsuit was filed so that you can answer the court and inform the court that you were the victim of identity theft.

If there is nothing there, then I suggest that you call the man who called you and ask him for a case number and the county where the case was filed. If he is unable to provide this, it might be a scam.

Do not provide your personal information to anyone over the phone and don't conform that you are you to anyone who calls you. You might be the victim o identity theft.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation.