What should I do , if anything , if a tax preparer misplaces my W2 and 1099s ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

Although my taxes were filed, my preparer did not send back the above mentioned forms when he mailed me the copies of my returns as he usually does. He claims they were in the envelope, but they definitely were not. I hope he didn't send them to someone else. Should I be worried?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

1

Answered . Do not worry. Ask your prior employer for a copy of the W2 and 1099. They should be able to give you a duplicate original.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . First, do not worry. Tax preparers keep a copy in their files (many times they are scanned into the ta preparation program.) If the preparer cannot find them (things can sometimes be misfiled!) simply get a copy of the W-2 from your employer and the 1099s from the banks and other sources.

Relax, this is not a big deal.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com

3. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Pro

4

1

Answered . The return preparer is also required to keep a copy of the w-2 for returns prepared. He should be able to produce a copy.

4. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

Answered . I agree with all the prior answers. You can also obtain the information contained in the documents from the IRS, however, if any state taxes were deducted they will not be reflected on the information you receive from the IRS.