What should be the Marital Status in DS-160 (F1 Student Visa) when applied for Divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I am in the process of applying for F1 Student Visa to study in USA. I had earlier been to USA on Dependent Visa & stayed for 4 months. Since I and my husband were not compatible we have filed a divorce case on mutual consent. Earlier in DS-160, I had mentioned my status as Married and provided my Husband's details. Now since we have filed for divorce should I state my Status to be married in the form DS-160?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

1

Answered . Unless you have already obtained a divorce and its final you are still considered married. Sorry.

You can, of course, during the interview mention that you are separated, filed for divorce, etc. but what useful purpose would that achieve? On the contrary, you might have a better chance of obtaining your student visa if the consulate sees that you are married, but yet will go to the US for a temporary study period ALONE (but will later have an incentive to return to her country where her husband will be waiting.. Otherwise, as a newly single person, with no solid family ties to your country, you might "fit the profile" of someone who would want to remain permanently in the US by finding someone in the US, marrying him and applying for a green card.

2. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

1

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. So long as you are still legally married then that you the marital status that you must state on your visa application.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . Merely filing for a divorce is not enough to terminate the marriage. The divorce must be final for you to be divorced.