What should be the Marital Status in a DS-160 application?

Asked 10 months ago - Detroit, MI

I'm seeking some guidance on a nonimmigrant B-2 Visa. I called the US embassy, but they cannot give any advice about filling out the app. I am helping someone (from Philippines) fill out the DS-160 application and am not sure what marital status to select?

She was legally married for 4 years, however, for the past 9 years has been physically separated from her Ex, moved on in life, and has had very little contact with him and doesn't know his contact information. Neither has had the money to file for a divorce or legal separation. Should I select "married" because she is technically still married? Or, should I select "other" and simply explain that she is technically married, but has moved on in her life and doesn't consider herself married? I don't think legally separated applies?

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Best Answer

Answered . If the marriage has not been terminated through death, divorce, or annulment, then it is still a legal marriage. It appears that the "correct" answer here would be "married."

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . If they are technically married, she is married for purposes of that form.

3. Eliza Grinberg

4

Answered . Married. Unless you withhold some information.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Technically married ==> equals .... LEGALLY MARRIED .. there is no other way to view this situation.