What should a person do when they cannot pay their child support even though said person is employed albeit part time?

Portland, OR |
Filed under: Child support

Currently I work part-time while being somewhat homeless and cannot obtain another job due to the fact that I don't have my I.D card or birth certificate and am having difficulties getting these documents reissued because I was not born in the state I live in. Also what legal troubles could I find myself in when I'm already in the rear far as back child support goes?

This is a duplicate thread. This question was also asked and answered here:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

I would suggest that you meet with an attorney for a review of the child support amount. Perhaps it can be lowered. Also, if your arrears is over $10,000 AND you leave Oregon, you COULD BE charged with criminal. Rare, but possible. Is your employer taking money out of your paycheck for the child support? Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Given you situation, you likely cannot afford an attorney. Therefore, you should contact the local bar association to see if they have any pro bono programs to assist with your legal issues. Good luck.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support