What should a person do when they cannot pay their child support even though said person is employed albeit part time?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

Currently I work part-time while being somewhat homeless and cannot obtain another job due to the fact that I don't have my I.D card or birth certificate and am having difficulties getting these documents reissued because I was not born in the state I live in. Also what legal troubles could I find myself in when I'm already in the rear far as back child support goes?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would suggest that you meet with an attorney for a review of the child support amount. Perhaps it can be lowered. Also, if your arrears is over $10,000 AND you leave Oregon, you COULD BE charged with criminal. Rare, but possible. Is your employer taking money out of your paycheck for the child support? Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
  2. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a duplicate thread. This question was also asked and answered here: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-should-a...

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  3. Kevin Coluccio

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Given you situation, you likely cannot afford an attorney. Therefore, you should contact the local bar association to see if they have any pro bono programs to assist with your legal issues. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,633 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,633 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering