What should a doctors letter state to help prove extreme hardship in immigration and how do I go about writing a letter ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Trenton, NJ

my husband is from Guatemala.. he did enter the country on a visa.. he was arrested last yr and during the time he was detained we legally got married.. he is about to be released to immigration and the only criminal record he has is 2 or 3 disorderly person offense.. I know I need to write an extreme hardship letter to hopefully get a wavier for him....how do I write the letter... what type of things do I write about? what do i ask my doctor to write? we also have three little kids together...

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Good question. Even two. Impossible to explain on the forum. Seek out and hire an immigration attorney You should not be doing waiver application on your own anyway. It is way too complicated and this is not the last quesiton you will have. We are not a substitute for competent and fact specific legal advice.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . Those are the proper questions, but they are impossible to answer in this forum and with limited information. The types of disorderly persons convictions are very important, as is every detail of your life, not just the medical issues. Realistically, you have a much much greater chance at succeeding on the waiver request with a lawyer's assistance. You do not get two chances at it so it is extremely important to do it right the first time. This is not the type of thing you want to figure out on your own; it is the type of thing you need an expert's assistance for. Call an immigration lawyer who has experience with hardship waivers.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . I couldn't better state it myself. You are simply deluding yourself if you think you'll be able to file for the waiver by yourselves. This area of the law is far too onerous and complex for the layperson to comprehend and succeed in.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

2

Answered . I completely agree with my colleagues. Trying to do this without an attorney is like performing surgery without a doctor.