Skip to main content

What should a caregiver do after being physically abused by the client?

Mount Prospect, IL |

I am a caregiver, the man who i care for physically abused me by hitting me in my face, arms and kicked me. The agency gave me workers compensation for the hospital check up. I lost my income during this time and still have aches and pains all over my body. Now I am emotionally and physically not able to work, but I have my rent due and other bills to pay, and I had to start working again.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This is a Workman's Comp question or personal injury. You are seeking money damages right?

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

  2. Contact a workers' compensation lawyer and also file a police report.

    There are three types of benefits to which you're entitled under comp but not all of what you mention is compensable.

    I gave your contact info to Jayne Schreiber and Marianne Deagle of Loyola Career Services. I've spoken to students there and they want to set up a meet/greet/network event with some of their students and solos I know. No pressure. If you aren't interested, no problem. Just giving you the heads up of they contact you.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  3. You have a workers compensation claim that you can pursue and also potentially a personal injury claim. Talk to an attorney that does both in their office

  4. Unlike auto cases, there are NO Illinois WC cases where you do not benefit from consulting an attorney, immediately.

    As long as your doctor says you are NOT able to work, you are entitled to TTD (weekly pay through Workers' Compensation) so it is not possible for you to have needed money.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics