Skip to main content

What service has to be Personal? Obviously the Petition and Answer. How about Entry of Default? Default Judgement Package?

Van Nuys, CA |

In a lawsuit. Entry of Default? Default Judgment Package? Can a matter entered as Default Judgement without personal service? What if there was not even Mail Service?
Fam law CA

Attorney Answers 3


You are correct that you must serve the complaint/petition via personal service. However, after that, most pleadings can be served by regular mail. This would include a request to enter default and default judgment packet.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Mann is licensed to practice in the State of California. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Mann to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Mann is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Neither the request for entry of default nor the request for default judgment require personal service.

This attorney is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The request for entry of default form specifically has a line where you indicate it was mail-served.

The information/answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Consult an attorney regarding your individual situation. This attorney is only licensed to practice law in California. Your question and this answer do not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not send/post any confidential information. For more information, visit:

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics